SPECIAL NOTE -- OUR REGULAR MEETING WILL BE ON WEDNESDAY NOVEMBER 5.
SPEAKER: Pam Moore-- Current WPC Vice-President, will share how you can sell your images in the micro-stock photography business. Don't miss this opportunity to learn how to purchase and sell images for use in advertising, brochures, magazines, school projects and on the internet. There will be door prizes for photographers and free credits for businesses that are interested in joining the thousands that already know the secret of buying and selling images in the micro-stock industry. Pam's web site
FALL 2008 PORTFOLIO SHOW & COMPETITION PICK UP YOUR ENTRIES -- Wednesday, November 5, 2008 during our regular meeting, at the South Branch Library in The Woodlands. If you cannot be there, please make arrangements with somebody to pick up your entries.
MINI CONTEST: MINI CONTEST THEME BRIDGES bring any two images showing BRIDGES to participate in this mini contest.
SHOW: SLIDE SHOW: Please, email 5-8 of your favorite recent images that you would like to share at the meeting to Jim Kelly. Let's see all those wonderful images from all over around.
Saturday, November 8, from 9 AM - 2 PM --
WPC Scavenger Hunt at Pow Wow Fest. 7979 N. Eldridge Rd • Houston, TX 77041. More info and sign in and for further details visit
Saturday, November 15, from 9-11 AM --
Battleship Texas Museum at Porte Texas, Hard Hats Tour, just for WPC members. We will take this tour to public restricted areas and will be able to take pictures there. Limited room. More info and sign in
Saturday, November 15 through January 3, 2009 -- Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens photo opportunity Festival of Lights! The holiday magic will glisten with more than a million lights and dozens of festive scenes. (800) 582-4673; www.moodygardens.com
December 8-- 6:30 - 9 P.M.
having our Christmas Party and ask all members to bring a dessert,
a salad, or a casserole to share. Time to renew your 2009 membership.
Membership evaluation of this year events. Bring your fresh ideas
to the table though we will have a lot of success with our next
year events. Meet the new board officers for 2009. Share with them your ideas.
MINI CONTEST: CLOCKS Bring
any two images containing CLOCKS for the mini-contest.
SHOW: Please, email 5-8 of your favorite recent images that you would like to share at the meeting to Jim Kelly. Let's see all those wonderful images from all over around.
Through January 3, 2009 - Festival of Lights at Moody Gardens photo opportunity Festival of Lights! The holiday magic will glisten with more than a million lights and dozens of festive scenes. (800) 582-4673; www.moodygardens.com
6-7 - 35th. annual Dickens on the Strand festival. Taking their cue from the characters of 'A Christmas Carol',
hundreds of performers dressed in authentic Victorian attire mingle
with the holiday crowd. Even Scrooge would be happy with six stages
providing continuous entertainment and wandering minstrels singing
on every corner. Three parades. 2100 Strand St., Galveston, TX 77550,
ph 409 763 5326
Visit WPC resources to ask our Consulting Photographers
Basic Photography · Digital Photography · Matting & Framing · Nikon
Capture · PC Questions · Photoshop · Underwater
Photography · Web site
LOCAL EXHIBITS: Seeing the work of other
artists and photographers can give new insights and ideas for our
own work. Check out the following local exhibits:
Through October 11 -- DeSantos Gallery Presents : Drifting Away Photographs by Erika Diettes
VICTIMS OF COLOMBIAN ARMED CONFLICT MEMORIALIZED AT DE SANTOS GALLERY.
Location DeSantos Gallery 1724 Richmond Ave, Houston, Texas 77098
Through October 19 -- The Museum of Fine Art in Houston has an exhibit titled "In the Forest of Fontainebleau; Painters and Photographers from Corot to Monet."
With works by Corot, Monet, and others, the exhibit charts the dual evolution of landscape painting with landscape photography. More info
Through October 19 -- FotoFest Presents Mechanical Perception photo exhibit. New Photographic Work by Mei-Mei Dillard, Eileen Maxson, Brian Piana, Soody Sharifi, and Anderson Wrangle.
1113 Vine Street, Suite 101, Houston, TX 77002,
Ph (713) 223-5522 More info
October 18-19 -- Bayou City Art Festival Downtown from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days http://www.bayoucityartfestival.com/
CLASSES, CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS:
The 1960 Digital Photography Special Interest Group will have Jerry Ward as our guest speaker on Thursday November 6. Jerry is the Texas representative for Canon Cameras. Jerry attended the summer Olympics for Canon and will be showing some of the photos he took while he was there. He will also have some of Canon’s new equipment to show off and answer all your question about Canon. More info
HCP and LLU are offering photo classes on regular basis, take a look at our calendar
Joe Cusack, a member of The Woodlands Photography Club, teaches middle school students about photography and is requesting the donation of non-functioning cameras and camera lens. He would like to use these broken cameras to show the students different parts of a camera during his lecture. Email Joe Cusack if you can help.
1) Unused, new work book for $10.00:The Artist's Marketing and Action Plan Workbook (Paperback) by Jonathan Talbot, Geoffrey Howard (
$16.95 on Amazon.com)
If you are interested please email Barbara at [email protected]
1) Leica M7 Rangefinder with Leica lenses: 24 mm lens 2.8, 35 mm lens 2.0, 50 mm lens 2.0, 75 mm lens 1.4, Leica motordrive. All equipment is approximately 2 years old and in mint condition. All for $8,499.95 Contact Don Griffin 281 221 2688
2) Nikonous V underwater camera with: 35 mm Nikon lens, 15 mm Nikon lens and 15 mm viewfinder (Magnificent lens for underwater), Nikon close up macro outfit for reefs and smaller tropical fish, SB 103 Nikon flash, Pelikan hard carrying case. All gear was used about 5 times, all for $2,499.95. Contact Don Griffin 281 221 2688
3) Leica V-Lux 1 digital camera w/ Leica all-weather case, 35-420 mm zoom lens, Built in flash, Auto focus with manual override + anti-shake, Large fold-down display + viewfinder display, Record sound, sunshade, battery charger, software, etc. I am the only owner, camera is about one year old. Will sell for $649.95. Contact Don Griffin 281 221 2688
4) For Sale Arax 60 MLU kit including sport viewfinder; metered prism viewfinder; 80mm 2.8 Arax lens, 120mm MC Vega lens; 65mm 3.5 MC Mir lens; various Bronica, Hoya, Tiffen filters; Underwater Kinetics hard case. Camera and lenses were brought back from Ukraine. All equipment (except filters) has never been used. Incredible inexpensive way to get into 120 6x6 photography. Arax is a small Ukrainian company that buys hand-picked parts from Arsenal (the manufacturers of the infamous Kiev cameras) modifies them and hand assembles what the Kiev 60 should have been. For more information on the company and the camera, see: www.araxphoto.com PRICE REDUCED - Asking $400 for everything. Contact Bob at [email protected]
5) Bogen 3021 tripod with a 3D head anyone interested? Price it at $110. Contact Jim Stoner 936-273-4388
Sigma 20-40 2.8 wide angle Lens, Nikon compatible for $250, with Lens hood and lens case also excellent condition. Inquiries Bobby Green at (832)651-0091 or email address [email protected]
7) EPSON 1280 printer $200.00. The 1280 prints up to 13x19 paper which you probably already know comes with an extra ink cartridge for it. Contact Jim Kelly
8) CANON EOS 1N RS - professional 35mm film camera. This is the rare one built with a pellicle mirror which means that there is no blackout during exposure since light travels through the mirror to the film and the mirror does not need to flip up during the exposure. This allows the camera to have an incredibly fast shooting rate of 10 frames per second when set on continuous high, great for sports and action shots. This camera is no lightweight since the body and motor drive are built as one unit. Camera body is in great shape but is missing the rubber eyecup. This camera sold new for $2700.00. It has been a great camera but I don't use it now that I have my digital bodies. Best offer gets it but I would like to get $250. Contact Jim Stoner 936-273-4388
9) CANON EOS 1D-Mark 2, professional Digital SLR. This camera is a great one for sports shooting, portraits, weddings, nature etc. and is in excellent shape. It's 1.3 crop factor will allow wider angle shooting with your lenses than most DSLR's. A fast shooting speed of 8.5 fps made it the fastest DSLR for the past 3 years. With 8 megapixels I have made 30x40" prints with no problem. JUST REDUCED will sell for $2000. Contact Jim Stoner at 936-273-4388.
STUDIO FOR RENT Clark Lara has a full studio with Norman Lights, High
Key white wall, as well as 3 different muslins. No props you would
have to supply your own. SPECIAL PRICE $50 an hour. The high key
is great for everything from product shots to high fashion.
The Woodlands United
Methodist Church Camera Club TWUMC for all skill levels gathers
the first Monday of every month, except holidays from 7 PM to 8:30
PM at 2200 Lake Woodlands Dr. More
The 1960 Digital Photography Special Interest Group meets the first Thursday every month at the Cypress Creek Christian Church on 6823 Cypresswood Drive, a diverse group of photographers seeking to improve photography skills with a motto of “members helping members” More info
The Kingwood Photo Club gathers photographers, who share a love for the capture, preservation and sharing of God's creations through
photography. Meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of every month at the Kingwood United Methodist
Church, 6:30 pm. More information
HELP US SHOOT
We need club members who have digital cameras to volunteer to document
our field trips and special events. Our friends
Nolan Braud, Susan Long and Cesar Vargas have been providing digital images of our meeting presenters
and other activities but could use some help. If you are willing
to help, please e-mail to our newsletter editor.
YOUR GALLERY AWAITS YOU
Each member of our club gets a free online gallery of your favorite
images. For details on how to get yours set up, contact Nolan Braud ([email protected]) or read the procedures
WE WANT YOUR
Help us continue to have the most interesting and informative activities
by sharing your ideas for the best experiences you've had. E-mail
your ideas for each activity below to the club officer in charge
of that activity:
Presentations - Autumn Teesdale
Other Activities - Pam Moore
Web Site, Newsletter