Saturday, May 10 -- 1-3 PM SPRING 2008 PHOTO SHOW & COMPETITION Submission and Set up Time to submit your pictures for the Spring Contest at the South Branch Library in The Woodlands. Please notice the time 1 PM until 3 PM. Late entries cannot be accepted. Please review the rules and have your entry fees and forms available when you arrive. We need volunteers, please sign in for helping to set up exhibit
Monday, May 12-- 6:30 - 9 P.M.
PROGRAM: Spring 2008 Photo Show and Competition Award Ceremony and Photographic Critique with Wendy Watriss, FotoFest Curator and Co-founder, and Marty Carden, HCP's Exhibitions Committee Chair and well known photographer.
MINI CONTEST: NO Mini Contest
Sunday, May 4, from 8 AM-2 PM -- Exotic game ranches and wolves refuge, JUST for WPC Members. More info and sign in
Saturday, May 17, from 9 AM-2PM -- Heritage Village is a living museum of pioneer history, with a main street that is right out of the mid 1800's to early 1900's.
Walk through an old-time blacksmith shop. Check out a railroad depot. Visit a livery stable or any one of the community's log cabins. Or just stroll through the East Texas forest. See demonstrations of the old ways from people who have either studied the art or lived it.
Heritage Village is an outstanding insight into what pioneer life in East Texas was like. More info and
May 3rd --Houston Dragon Boat Festival. Becoming an internationally popular sport, dragon boat racing has hit the waters of downtown Houston! more info http://www.buffalobayou.org/dragonboat.html
May 10 -- Houston Art Car Parade at Orange Show More info at http://www.orangeshow.org Click this link for Volunteer photographers needed
May 17 -- Pasadena Strawberry Festival more info http://www.strawberryfest.org/
May 17-18 -- Annual Houston Highland Games & Celtic Festival
Enjoy the sights & sounds of Scotland. Events include men's athletic competitions, highland dancing competitions, solo bagpipe & drumming, pipe band competitions & children's games. Enjoy shopping with Celtic vendors, sampling Scottish foods and exploring genealogy, Gaelic and Robert Burns through workshops. Houston Farm & Ranch Club, Bear Creek Park, Houston, TX
more info [email protected]
Visit WPC resources to ask our Consulting Photographers
Basic Photography · Digital Photography · Matting & Framing · Nikon
Capture · PC Questions · Photoshop · Underwater
Photography · Website
LOCAL EXHIBITS: Seeing the work of other
artists and photographers can give new insights and ideas for our
own work. Check out the following local exhibits:
Through August 17 -- Holocaust Museum of Houston presents eight photographers who have witnessed the atrocities firsthand as a backdrop of a new world premiere exhibit "Darfur: Photojournalists Respond" at 5401 Caroline St., 713 942 8000
March through April 10 -- "A New World Becoming", Edwards and Johnson's photographic essay, documentary changing cultural landscape along Texas/Mexico border at The Art Alliance Center at Clear Lake, 2000 NASA Parkway, ph. 281 335 7777
March through April 12 -- De Santos Gallery presenting Cheng Changfen & Fernando Castro, B&W Photography at 1724 A Richmond Ave, Houston, TX 77098, 713 520 1200 or visit
March 7 through April 22 -- FotoFest Exhibit, The Border Regions, China 1934-1939 Zhuang Xueben at 24 Waterway Ave, The Woodlands 77380, in the lobby, more info www.fotofest.org
March 8 through April 20 -- FOTOFEST EXHIBITS:
- Habitat 7 - Jeff Chien-Hsing Liao
at HCP. Four of the earliest major civilizations were formed in river valleys. The fertile lands provided surpluses of food that allowed for the growth of populations more info www.hcponline.org
- Houston Chinese Photographic Society. An exhibition of landscapes by the members of the Houston Chinese Photographic more info at www.hcponline.org
- Portrait of China FotoFest Exhibit at Elder Street Gallery on 1101 Elder Street a view of China, socially, historically and culturally through 90 photographs. Elderstreetartist.com 281 250 4889
- Tibet, Holy People, Holy Land and Holy Architecture, featuring the work of Liu, Zhi Chao, chairman of China Photography Association at Laura Rathe Fine Art, 1107 E Freeway 713 824 3575
- "Breaking Down the Walls" and is part of the Transformation theme. at Archway Gallery, 2013C West Gray near the River Oaks Theatre.
April 17 - June 21 -- Photographs by Frazier King at Museum of Printing History, 1324 W Clay St.
CLASSES, CONFERENCES AND SEMINARS:
March 1-3 -- American Color Imaging Seminar in IOWA.
More details 800-728-2722 www.acilab.com
March 15 -- National Geographic Traveler Photo Seminar from Sta. Fe Workshops; one full day seminar. More information or call (505) 983-1400
March 26 --SEMINAR Photoshop® CS3 for Photographers Tour, Coming to Austin Convention Center, 500 East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin, TX 78701.
Experience the excitement of the Adobe® Photoshop® Seminar Tour and learning Photoshop® CS3 from one of the World's most respected Photoshop® experts and best-selling author, Ben Willmore. More info
April 2-4 -- Photoshop World Conference & Expo, Orange County Convention Center. Orlando, Florida More info 800-738-8513 or visit their website
April 12-13 -- Woodlands Waterway Arts Festival, crafts & photography more info www.woodlandsartsfestival.com
March 28-30 -- Bayou City Art Festival, Award-winning juried arts and entertainment festival that transforms Memorial Park into a festival outdoor art gallery. More info http://www.bayoucityartfestival.com/
HCP and LLU are offering photo classes on regular basis, take a look at our calendar
Joe Cusack, a member of The Woodlands Photography Club, teaches middle school students about photography and is requesting the donation of non-functioning cameras and camera lens. He would like to use these broken cameras to show the students different parts of a camera during his lecture. Email Joe Cusack if you can help.
1) Unused, new work book for $10.00:The Artist's Marketing and Action Plan Workbook (Paperback) by Jonathan Talbot, Geoffrey Howard (
$16.95 on Amazon.com)
If you are interested please email Barbara at [email protected]
1) For Sale Arax 60 MLU kit including sport viewfinder; metered prism viewfinder; 80mm 2.8 Arax lens, 120mm MC Vega lens; 65mm 3.5 MC Mir lens; various Bronica, Hoya, Tiffen filters; Underwater Kinetics hard case. Camera and lenses were brought back from Ukraine. All equipment (except filters) has never been used. Incredible inexpensive way to get into 120 6x6 photography. Arax is a small Ukrainian company that buys hand-picked parts from Arsenal (the manufacturers of the infamous Kiev cameras) modifies them and hand assembles what the Kiev 60 should have been. For more information on the company and the camera, see: www.araxphoto.com Asking $600 for everything. Contact Bob at [email protected]
2) Bogen 3021 tripod with a 3D head anyone interested? Price it at $110. Contact Jim Stoner 936-273-4388
Nikon N80 with NB-16 Battery Pack Grip, includes Nikon 28-80 mm kit lens and Tamrac case $125.00,
Tokina 24-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 includes lens hood $200.00, and
Tokina 19-35mm 1:3.5-4.5 includes lens hood $200.00. Please contact Doug Wilson at 281 216-3929 cell or [email protected]
4) Nikon D70 with the D70S software upgrades, the battery charger with two batteries, excellent condition for $350. And, a Sigma 20-40 2.8 wide angle Lens, Nikon compatible for $250, with Lens hood and lens case also excellent condition. Inquiries Bobby Green at (832)651-0091
or email address [email protected]
5) EPSON 1280 printer $200.00. The 1280 prints up to 13x19 paper which you probably already know comes with an extra ink cartridge for it. Contact Jim Kelly
6) CANON EOS 1N RS - professional 35mm film camera. This is the rare one built with a pellicle mirror which means that there is no blackout during exposure since light travels through the mirror to the film and the mirror does not need to flip up during the exposure. This allows the camera to have an incredibly fast shooting rate of 10 frames per second when set on continuous high, great for sports and action shots. This camera is no lightweight since the body and motor drive are built as one unit. Camera body is in great shape but is missing the rubber eyecup. This camera sold new for $2700.00. It has been a great camera but I don't use it now that I have my digital bodies. Best offer gets it but I would like to get $250. Contact Jim Stoner 936-273-4388
7) CANON EOS 1D-Mark 2, professional Digital SLR. This camera is a great one for sports shooting, portraits, weddings, nature etc. and is in excellent shape. It's 1.3 crop factor will allow wider angle shooting with your lenses than most DSLR's. A fast shooting speed of 8.5 fps made it the fastest DSLR for the past 3 years. With 8 megapixels I have made 30x40" prints with no problem. Will sell for $2300. Contact Jim Stoner at 936-273-4388.
STUDIO FOR RENT Clark Lara has a full studio with Norman Lights, High
Key white wall, as well as 3 different muslins. No props you would
have to supply your own. SPECIAL PRICE $50 an hour. The high key
is great for everything from product shots to high fashion.
PHOTO WORKSHOP Ecuador, Ireland, Costa Rica, North Carolina or Big Bend Photo Workshop Adventure with Kathy Adams
Clark. She is a professional nature photographer. More info at Strabo Tours 607-756-8676 www.phototc.com
The Woodlands United
Methodist Church Camera Club TWUMC for all skill levels gathers
the first Monday of every month, except holidays from 7 PM to 8:30
PM at 2200 Lake Woodlands Dr. More
The 1960 Digital Photography Special Interest Group meets the first Thursday every month at the Cypress Creek Christian Church on 6823 Cypresswood Drive, a diverse group of photographers seeking to improve photography skills with a motto of “members helping members” More info
The Kingwood Photo Club gathers photographers, who share a love for the capture, preservation and sharing of God's creations through
photography. Meetings are held on the 2nd Monday of every month at the Kingwood United Methodist
Church, 6:30 pm. More information
HELP US SHOOT
We need club members who have digital cameras to volunteer to document
our field trips and special events. Our friends
Nolan Braud, Susan Long and Cesar Vargas have been providing digital images of our meeting presenters
and other activities but could use some help. If you are willing
to help, please e-mail to our newsletter editor.
YOUR GALLERY AWAITS YOU
Each member of our club gets a free online gallery of your favorite
images. For details on how to get yours set up, contact Nolan Braud ([email protected]) or read the procedures
WE WANT YOUR
Help us continue to have the most interesting and informative activities
by sharing your ideas for the best experiences you've had. E-mail
your ideas for each activity below to the club officer in charge
of that activity:
Presentations - Autumn Teesdale
Other Activities - Pam Moore
Web Site, Newsletter